Tuesday, January 17, 2017

MH370_ MH370 search officially suspended

NEWS.COM.AU

MH370 search officially suspended

January 17, 201710:27pm



Map showing the search area for MH370.


Staff writers, wires News Corp Australia Network

AFTER nearly three years, the hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ended in futility and frustration, as crews completed their deep-sea search of a desolate stretch of the Indian Ocean without finding a trace of the plane.

The Joint Agency Coordination Center in Australia, which has helped lead the $160 million hunt for the Boeing 777 in remote waters west of Australia, said the search had officially been suspended after crews finished their fruitless sweep of the 120,000-square kilometre search zone.

“Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting-edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft,” the agency said in a statement, which was a joint communique between the transport ministers of Malaysia, Australia and China.

“Accordingly, the underwater search for MH370 has been suspended. The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness.”

READ MORE: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/mh370-search-officially-suspended/news-story/17745020642a18f568a76b670c1d4557


***


Chân thành cám ơn Quý Anh Chị ghé thăm "conbenho Nguyễn Hoài Trang Blog".
Xin được lắng nghe ý kiến chia sẻ của Quý Anh Chị 
trực tiếp tại Diễn Đàn Paltalk
: 
1Latdo Tapdoan Vietgian CSVN Phanquoc Bannuoc . 
Kính chúc Sức Khỏe Quý Anh Chị . 


conbenho
Tiểu Muội quantu
Nguyễn Hoài Trang
17012017

___________

Cộng sản Việt Nam là TỘI ÁC
Bao che, dung dưỡng TỘI ÁC là ĐỒNG LÕA với TỘI ÁC

Monday, January 16, 2017

WORLD_ Istanbul New Year's nightclub attacker caught: media reports

REUTERS

WORLD NEWS
| Mon Jan 16, 2017 | 5:42pm EST

Istanbul New Year's nightclub attacker caught: media reports

By Daren Butler
| ISTANBUL

The gunman suspected of killing 39 people in an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has been caught by police in the city's Esenyurt district, the Hurriyet newspaper website and other media reports said on Tuesday.

The man, who media quoted police as saying had operated under the cover name Abu Muhammed Horasani, was caught in a hideout with his four-year-old son, Hurriyet said. The reports could not immediately be confirmed.

Dozens of people have previously been detained in connection with the attack for which Islamic State has claimed responsibility, saying it was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria.

On Jan. 1, the attacker shot his way into the Reina nightclub then opened fire with an automatic rifle, reloading his weapon half a dozen times and shooting the wounded as they lay on the ground.

Turks as well as visitors from several Arab nations, India and Canada were among those killed in the attack.

Horasani was described as being of Uzbek origin by the Haberturk website, which said he was caught at a housing complex in Esenyurt district, on the European side of the city.

There were three people in the apartment where he was caught, the home of a Kyrgyz friend of his to which he had gone three days earlier, Haberturk said.

According to state-run Anadolu news agency, five people were detained in the operation, including the alleged perpetrator, a man of Kyrgyz origin and three women. It said simultaneous raids were being conducted on other cells linked to the group.

The shooting in Istanbul's Ortakoy neighborhood, an upscale district on the Bosphorus shore, came after a year in which NATO member Turkey was shaken by a series of attacks by radical Islamist and Kurdish militants and by a failed coup.

One security source said in the wake of the attack that the gunman appeared to have been well-versed in guerrilla warfare and may have trained in Syria.

President Tayyip Erdogan has said the attack, which targeted a club popular with local celebrities and moneyed foreigners, had been being exploited to try to divide the largely Sunni Muslim nation.

(Writing by Daren Butler; Editing by Ralph Boulton)

READ MORE: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-attack-perpetrator-idUSKBN1502F1


***


Chân thành cám ơn Quý Anh Chị ghé thăm "conbenho Nguyễn Hoài Trang Blog".
Xin được lắng nghe ý kiến chia sẻ của Quý Anh Chị 
trực tiếp tại Diễn Đàn Paltalk
: 
1Latdo Tapdoan Vietgian CSVN Phanquoc Bannuoc . 
Kính chúc Sức Khỏe Quý Anh Chị . 


conbenho
Tiểu Muội quantu
Nguyễn Hoài Trang
17012017

___________

Cộng sản Việt Nam là TỘI ÁC
Bao che, dung dưỡng TỘI ÁC là ĐỒNG LÕA với TỘI ÁC

SECURITY_ Yahoo hack: Email accounts of Australian politicians, police and judges compromised in massive breach, dataset reveals

ABC NEWS

Yahoo hack: Email accounts of Australian politicians, police and judges compromised in massive breach, dataset reveals
By the National Reporting Team's Benjamin Sveen

Updated about an hour ago

Thousands of Australian Government officials, including high-profile politicians and senior Defence officials, are among the 1 billion victims of the massive Yahoo data breach, according to a secret dataset obtained recently by the ABC.

Data provided by US security company InfoArmor, which alerted the Department of Defence of the massive data breach last October, reveal more than 3,000 log-in credentials for private Yahoo services were linked to Australian Government email accounts.

InfoArmor, an Arizona-based cybersecurity firm which investigates data theft for law enforcement agencies, said the data was stolen from Yahoo in 2013 by a hacker organisation from Eastern Europe.

It said the hacker group then sold the Yahoo accounts to cyber criminals and a suspected foreign intelligence agency for $US300,000 each.

Yahoo revealed late last year that it believed hackers had stolen data from more than 1 billion user accounts in August 2013, in what is thought to be the largest data breach at an email provider.

A Department of Defence spokesperson confirmed key events to the ABC, including:

* Defence was notified of the breach last October via an intermediary from NSW Police, two months before Yahoo announced the data breach to the public

* It then notified its own affected employees of the breach

It remains unclear whether affected staff from other Commonwealth agencies have also been notified by their departments.

The stolen database contains email addresses, passwords, recovery accounts, and other personal identifying data belonging to a startling array of senior Australian officials.

Among those affected were Social Services Minister Christian Porter, Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, Liberal MP Andrew Hastie, opposition health spokesperson Catherine King and Liberal senator Cory Bernardi.

It is unclear how many of the accounts are still active.

The ABC was able to identify officials in the dataset because they had used their government emails as backups if they forgot their passwords.

Last week, the ABC approached each of these affected politicians' offices, as well as some public servants, seeking confirmation of the authenticity of these log-in credentials. Most declined to do so.

The compromised accounts do not exclusively relate to clients of Yahoo's email service, but also Yahoo-affiliated web services such as the microblogging site Tumblr and the photo sharing site Flickr.

A spokeswoman for Mr Porter said "as far as the Minister is aware he has never used a Flickr account".

A spokesperson for Senator Bernardi said "to the best of his knowledge, [Senator Bernardi] doesn't have a Yahoo account."

One advisor told the ABC it was possible some accounts linked to politicians were set up by former staffers.

Others who did respond confirmed the log-in credentials are accurate.

Do you know more about this story? Email investigations@abc.net.au


Accounts linked to police, judges also compromised


Other government officials compromised include those carrying out sensitive roles such as high-ranking AFP officers, AusTrac money laundering analysts, judges and magistrates, political advisors, and even an employee of the Australian Privacy Commissioner.

Alastair MacGibbon, the Prime Minister's Cyber Security Special Advisor, described the size of the Yahoo breach as breathtaking.

"It's really what's inside those accounts that matters," Mr MacGibbon added.

"If there are compromising activities inside those accounts — again, whether I work for a corporate or government it doesn't really matter — criminals may exploit that. Criminals may exploit me recycling a password."

Mr MacGibbon said the magnitude of the breach made it hard to determine precisely how many of the affected Australian accounts were currently active.

The ABC understands the Yahoo account belonging to Mr Andrews has not been used by him in years.

The revelations come shortly after a Gmail account belonging to Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, John Podesta, was compromised and its contents leaked at a critical juncture during the US election.

Some Democrats say the Podesta email leaks contributed to Mrs Clinton's loss by exposing years of his private communication to the world.

The Podesta saga demonstrated just how damaging a single compromised private email account could be.


Risk email details could be used against victims

Professor Richard Buckland from the Australian Centre for Cyber Security said there could be serious embarrassment awaiting Australian officials from this Yahoo breach.

"There's potentially information in there that is blackmail-able," he said.

"Perhaps records of transactions of purchases, or discussions or things they've done. Private conversations that they didn't want to do on a government server. Perhaps they've engaged in some sort of shady activity. Or just expenses for politicians, for example, that they might have tried to keep out of official channels.

"Blackmail information is very valuable to other governments for nudging or persuading people to do things."

Another challenge facing the Government is how to deal with compromised private accounts belonging to some Australian diplomats and special defence personnel posted overseas. Many of the officials featured in the dataset are employed in roles with security clearances that are intended to be low-profile.

"If I was in a position where my relationship with the government wasn't to be known by others, then absolutely you shouldn't be linking a government account to your personal accounts," Mr MacGibbon said.


Hackers have had years to exploit data


A further problem is the protracted period between the Yahoo data breach itself, which dates back to March 2013, to the eventual public confirmation of Yahoo, over three years later.

Andrew Komarov, InfoArmor's chief intelligence officer, said malicious hackers would have had literally years to exploit the users' data.

"The bad actors had enough time to compromise any records they wanted as it's a pretty significant time frame," Mr Komarov said.

"That's why today is pretty hard to figure out what exactly happened and how many employees in government could be compromised."

According to InfoArmor, the hacker group responsible are an Eastern European cyber-criminal organisation motivated by profit, rather than a state-sponsored entity.

"This group has no presence on any forums or marketplaces. In the past they used two proxies: one for the Russian-speaking underground and another one for the English-speaking," Mr Komarov said.

"They sell their data indirectly using some trusted channels, contacts and proxies. Not through any marketplaces or forums because of their security measures. They don't need it.

"They have pretty serious contacts in the underground and some trusted rounds of various cybercriminals with whom they work."


READ MORE:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/senior-australian-politician-among-victims-of-massive-yahoo-hack/8185162


***


Chân thành cám ơn Quý Anh Chị ghé thăm "conbenho Nguyễn Hoài Trang Blog".
Xin được lắng nghe ý kiến chia sẻ của Quý Anh Chị 
trực tiếp tại Diễn Đàn Paltalk
: 
1Latdo Tapdoan Vietgian CSVN Phanquoc Bannuoc . 
Kính chúc Sức Khỏe Quý Anh Chị . 


conbenho
Tiểu Muội quantu
Nguyễn Hoài Trang
17012017

___________

Cộng sản Việt Nam là TỘI ÁC
Bao che, dung dưỡng TỘI ÁC là ĐỒNG LÕA với TỘI ÁC